Always know if the juice is worth the squeeze. Know what that means? It means you don’t steal my girl unless you’re ready to accept the consequences. – Timothy Olyphant in The Girl Next Door.
This is one of my favorite movies and I think it’s truly underrated. This amazing roller coaster of a scene shows the intersection between naïve youth and the harshness of the real world in such an entertaining way. Watch the scene here (fyi, there’s cursing and bit of violence).
Okay, now ask yourself…
- What juice are you after?
- What’s the squeeze?
- Is it worth it?
This can be applied to both the Macro and the Micro.
The big goals and the daily tasks.
Let’s look at a real example.
The Subtle Art of Not Yelling podcast has been around for almost 2 years.
We’ve just released our 80th episode!
We each spend around 2-4 hours per week on planning, producing, editing, and promoting it.
That’s the squeeze.
We’ve figured out a way to make it pretty easy and sustainable while still producing a valuable product that people enjoy.
What’s the juice?
- An excuse to speak intimately with really cool people and peek under the hood of some of the best creative experts and coaches in the world
- We learn a ton (both around the mindset and strategy)
- We collab with people who often have MUCH larger audiences than us
- Our network and audience grows every week
- ($) We’ve gotten clients
- It’s a fun creative outlet
- (Skill Grow) We get to improve our “interviewing” skills
- Idea generation and marination
- (Energizing) Getting emails from listers who love specific episodes
- Building a library of assets that people can listen to at any time
- Creating a resource for people
- Pride in doing something unique for almost 2 years
Is it worth it?
Absolutely. The squeeze to juice ratio makes a lot of sense for us right now. Things will change (it’s inevitable) and maybe it won’t last forever, but right now, the juice is definitely worth the squeeze.
If it ever requires more time and produces less juice, we’ll stop.
Your turn. Always know if the juice is worth the squeeze.
Updates and stuff
Our 80th Podcast Episode! — The Subtle Art of Being Picky – Where’s the line between “Don’t ship it unless it’s highly valuable” and “just ship it!”
Rebrand Project – I had a lot of fun whipping up this rebrand for WeBreathe. Check it out (IG).
Currently Reading – $100M Leads (just finished $100M Offers) by Alex Hormozi. I have to say, I’m enjoying it. It’s kind of refreshing, but it’s also exactly what you’d expect. It’s masculine and to the point. I recommend it.